Thursday, September 1, 2011

Back to School!

This summer I have felt a bit unfocused.  I thought I was on one path, searching for a teaching job for the start of the 2011-2012 school year, but given the state of the economy I have had to change direction.  After two years of haunting SchoolSpring and other sources for school job openings, revising my resume, writing cover letters and submitting job applications I have decided to redirect my energy.


I only recently got my teaching certification and felt pretty committed to the field.  For the last two years I have worked as a substitute teacher and special education teaching assistant.  I earned certification in both Middle School Humanities (Social Studies and English) AND English as a Second Language. I already had a master's degree in Education.  I participated in additional training and professional development.  I applied for a lot of teaching jobs, but so many teachers have lost their jobs during the economic downturn, jobs are hard to come by without knowing someone and/or years of teaching experience.  To add to this challenge, I did not come into teaching via the traditional route.  I took the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) rather then going through a college teacher preparation program.  Therefore, I have not participated in student teaching.  I could try to find a job as a teaching assistant again, but honestly it is a lot of work for not a lot of money and I have the credentials to work as a teacher.  For the past two years I have longed for my own classroom.  I know I am a good teacher.  The kids I have worked with love me.  My colleagues and supervisors have given me endless praise.  I have even been collecting books for my future classroom library.   

Rather than keep torturing myself looking for a teaching job, I am going back to school.  This is something I have toyed with on and off for several years. Regis College has a new program in Heritage Studies and after talking with the director of the program, I think it is a good fit for me.  Also, they contacted me and I enjoyed having someone court me.  I begin classes next week.  

To support my new life as a student I plan to substitute teach a couple days a week and teach yoga and Zumba®.  I have been teaching yoga for the last couple years.  I just finished my Zumba training have been working daily to prepare the choreography for my first classes.  I have added a link to my class calendar on the side bar and will update as I add classes this fall!  Life has thrown me a bit of a curve ball, but I am ready to shift focus and move ahead.

This blog originally started as an education blog, a topic that will still remain prevalent, but as my life shifts, so will the focus of my blog.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment